Sunday 23 March 2014

A fluttering of wings

Another day, another challenge or maybe two.  My entry for The Butterfly Challenge would also make it into the Snippets Playground, so as soon as I have posted this I shall be heading their way.

The Butterfly Challenge this time is to include stitching, either real or faux, on your card. Those who know me, know that sewing is my  bête noire and I am an expert at avoiding it, hence the buried sewing box in my study!  So it has taken me almost the two weeks to come up with this.  There is one bit of real stitching on it but I am not saying where, yet!

[caption id="attachment_399" align="alignright" width="225"]DSCF9050 Detail of envelope and emerging butterflies[/caption]

Materials used
White A4 card blank
two butterfly punches
X-cut small envelope die and nesting flower dies
Cherry Lyn Mini Fanciful Flourish die
backing paper
a silver pen
snippets - pink vellum, pink paper, pink card


Method

[caption id="attachment_400" align="alignleft" width="225"]Detail showing flower and flourishes Detail showing flower and flourishes[/caption]

The front of the A4 card is covered with a slightly smaller piece of backing paper. All the elements were cut from left over snippets of pink vellum, paper and card left over from a previous project. The flowers are shaped slightly before being attached together and stuck to the top left of the card front. Two flourishes are added. The mini envelope is stuck to the bottom right of the card and vellum, paper and card butterflies arranged as if they were coming from the envelope. The butterflies get bigger as they go up the card to the flower. The final butterfly is stuck to the flower. I stuck the butterflies on the body part only so that the wings were free to give some dimension to the card. Also some leaves on the flourishes are left unstuck.



[caption id="attachment_398" align="aligncenter" width="604"]The finished card The finished card[/caption]

Have you spotted the stiching? The faux stitches are around the edge of the backing paper made with a silver pen and the real stitches are in the centre of the flower.

I am off now to visit the Butterfly Challenge and have a quick go on the slide in the Snippets Playground. Thanks for popping in. Take care.

Pippa

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:
The Snippets Playground Challenge
The Butterfly Challenge

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, and I just saw it over at the Snippets Playground. (I'm catching up comments, then dashing to see more goodies at the Playground and Butterfly spot too!). Been messing too long with blogger. (BTW, when I click your link that comes into my email when you comment, it is taking me to your old blog! Go figure. I could never get there before with that link!). Anyway....your card is lovely. Like all the floating butterflies and the dimensional flourishes & flowers. Nice touch with the xstitch in your flower center too! Pure genius. I love the delicate white & pink combo...very spring like. TFS & hugs. Hope the Wordpress will work better than Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful use of snippets for the Butterfly challenge! Love those little butterflies and that tiny envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can concur that blogger is having fifty fits this weekend. Even The Doc remarked he couldn't get on to leave a comment on a blog. Brilliant real stitching in the flower and secondary faux stitiching around the edge. I'm loving all the ideas with people thinking outside of the box. I just love that envelope that the butterflies are escaping from and of course the correct perspective.
    (You can see I'v'e been paying attention in art class!). Thank you for fluttering by #3. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful card, love the flutterbys and the punch really does a good job.. just have that one now and made one card with it.. love the layout too, Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card Pippa! I spotted your stitching (err, one stitch!) right away - well done you. And I adore those butterflies escaping from the envelope - really clever idea!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pippa, Gelatos are a crayon like product (similar to chapstick for the lips in texture). You can use them to color directly to surfaces, you can do direct to rubber, then spritz, or you can ink on a palette, pick up color with a damp brush, or you can make a glaze & paint with them. Google Gelatoes, there's lots of good videos on using them. Fun to use, but I don't use them often enough to be very adept with them. (much like my watercoloring efforts!). Hugs & thanks for your sweet comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely butterfly card with both real AND faux stitching!
    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete