Wednesday 7 May 2014

Popping up!

Having got carried away with exploding boxes it occurred to me that they are ok if you are actually going to give them to people but not much good for posting.  I have seen examples of these amazing boxes with all sorts of things attached to them but only recently discovered that they flatten down for posting. Anyway, to get to the point, I decided to have a go at one myself and as I needed a card for my niece's birthday it just seemed the right time!

[caption id="attachment_542" align="alignright" width="248"]SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES The box closed[/caption]

Materials used:
pink cardstock
snippets of white card and patterned paper
mixture of cake related stamps
Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad
Spectrum Noir pens
Hunkydory greeting


Method:
Once I had found a really good video to guide me, I made the base of the box with the pink card then used various snippets of different papers to cover the panels.

[caption id="attachment_544" align="alignleft" width="291"]The arranged elements The arranged elements[/caption]

I stamped out a selection of cakes and a teapot then coloured them with Spectrum Noir pens before cutting them out.

Finally I arranged my cake elements how I wanted them in the box attaching two small cakes to acetate strips and making sure they all fitted inside when the box was collapsed.

[caption id="attachment_543" align="aligncenter" width="604"]The finished box The finished box[/caption]

For a first attempt I am pleased with the result, and I managed to use up lots of snippets from my overflowing 'bits' drawer. I think I will head on over to Pixie's Snippets Playground  as I have not been there for a while!

Thanks for dropping in. Take care.

Pippa

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Your niece is just going to love this card as it is fab. I keep saying I am going to make one of these cards. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't these cards such fun to make Pippa!? the best part is when they're finished, all the elements are inside the flattened card and when you open it up - POOF, just like magic :) Plus you used up snippets - great card!!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for giving this fab card a go Pippa. They really are amazing when you open them up and all the decorations pop up - giving a lovely surprise. Your cake version is super.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! I think they look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well DONE for a 1st effort. I've never have guessed it was your first attempt. Love the bright colors & patterns on the box, but the popup goodies are so cute & delicious looking. You niece will be thrilled that you made this especially for her. So glad you took it over to the Playground. Watch out Parsnip doesn't snag one of the scrumptious looking cakes! Hugs, Happy Wkend, & TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pippa, what a great fun card - your niece is going to be delighted to receive it. The papers, colours and cakes are perfect for a girl. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete