Tuesday 7 January 2014

Every book needs a cover

I enjoyed myself so much doing the Art Journal Calendar Challenge that I got carried away and made the cover for the book as well.  As it is a calendar journal I went with a four seasons theme, to cover the whole year.

Materials Used:
Stencils:
That special touch - Grid, Small Polka
Clarity - Leafy Swirl
Swirly one unknown

Acrylic paint - red, purple, yellow, gold

Adirondack Inks:
Wild Plum
Meadow
Denim
Lettuce
Rust

Core'dinations Card - pale blue, pale green, darker green, browny orange

Various stamps from Creative Stamping Magazine
Large number stamps Papermania

Spectrum Noir pens

Paper string - various colours
Wool - various colours
Mixture of beads

For the background I used my stencils and acrylic paints in a random design,  and added a few spots of gold paint here and there. 




When the paint had dried, I blended different coloured inks onto some of the white areas. I cut four large tags from the Core'dinations card, then stamped the numbers in similar colours onto white card.  I then stamped the designs on each number to represent the four seasons, and coloured with Spectrum Noir Pens, before cutting out and sticking onto the tags.  I threaded a piece of paper string, again in similar colours, through the hole in the top of each tag before sticking them onto the cover.



I then threaded some strands of wool through the spine, knotting them at the top to keep them in place and adding different beads to the bottom of some of the them.


So now my Art Journal is covered and January ready to  be written in.  Better start thinking about February's page now!

The Finished Cover










1 comment:

  1. Oh this is COOL Pippa. I haven't been art journaling for long but am loving it. Going to see what else you've been up to and have a mooch through your blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete