Saturday 17 January 2015

I think I am improving!

Maybe not with the frequency of posts but with my colouring. I have not made a finished project that I can share with you for a while because I have been busy practising colouring skin with my Copics. I cannot remember if I have already told you but I am working my way through a colouring course from Kit and Clowder under the direction of the very talented and extremely encouraging Alyce. This year to get everyone motivated again after Christmas she has started Boot Camp. Every two weeks an inspirational email comes in with handy tips and encouragement to keep going.

So I have been practising. I have a small problem with OCD and cannot move onto the next step until I am happy with the task I am currently doing. However as I am my own worst critic I am never satisfied which means I have  coloured the same face 36 times and still counting! I think it is now time to move on. Looking at my first attempt compared to my latest attempt there is a vast improvement so maybe I can cut myself some slack.

Just to show you how bad it is here is a photo of some of my coloured images (only the skin is coloured because I have not yet got to the hair part of the course!)

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

You maybe wondering what has happened to the Spectrum Noirs. I still use them for the majority of my colouring, but for small images (the whole of this image is only 3.5cms) I do find the Copics  easier to use because they have a much finer point on the brush nib.

Hopefully I will have a card done to share in the not too distant future, meanwhile back to the practising!

Thanks for dropping in. Take care.

Pippa

7 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. I think your results look great. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarn. I shall keep practising but maybe on a different image now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pippa, I looked at all your enlarged images, and of course, since my eye does not like strong contrast, I prefer the upper image work. But actually your bottom images, are more what the copic classes teach. I think you are doing a fantastic job, as faces & hair are the 2 most difficult areas to color. I prefer copics to any other medium. I have some SN, but find the nibs too hard to feel comfortable to my hand. Also, the markers - even freshly filled - have a 'dry' feel to me, and don't blend as easily. I think I'm prob'ly prejudiced as I started with copic markers and like the soft brush tip. You're doing great, so I think you can easily move on, and finish your image. I used to save my samples, and compare my progress. You can give yourself a big pat on the back, as I think you have all the 'face skills' necessary. We're all our own worst critics - at least I am!! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank your for your encouragement Mary. I did have some of my shadowing too dark in the first few images I did but think I have managed to control it now! I am going to move on now as I think I may have overdone it on the one exercise, and I need a change of view!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would you say are the best colours for a beginner? I bought a pack a little while ago but haven't used much because they're not really blend-able shades.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incywincycrafter, I am new to alcohol ink pens and started with the Spectrum Noirs. Recently I started using Copic Ciaos but I only have a few. I enrolled to do a colouring course at Kit and Clowder: http://kitandclowder.ning.com/home so bought the blends that Alyce recommends. There is also a very active Kit and Clowder Facebook page and I am sure if you ask for help with colour blends you will get lots of useful advise. You do not have to be enrolled on a course to access the Facebook page. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, thanks so much Pippa, I'll have a look.

    ReplyDelete