Wednesday 4 February 2015

Tall Order!

My son-in-law's daughter has a birthday next week and she loves giraffes, so when I saw the 'Laughing Giraffes' image at From the heart stamps I knew I had to use it.

SAM_1379 (watermarked)

Materials used:
From the Heart Stamps - Laughing Giraffes
Animal print digi - Pixel Scrappers
A3 white card
Neenah Desert Storm Kraft colouring card
Spectrum Noir pens
gold capital letter stickers


Method:
I printed the image out on an A4 sheet of Neenah Desert Storm card and coloured it with the Spectrum Noir pens. I used Serif Craft Artist and the animal print digi to make the background paper and printed it on another sheet of Neenah Desert Storm. Using the A3 white card I made a A4 card blank and cut a strip off the right side of the front. I attached a strip of the background paper to the right side of the back flap of the card blank and spelled out Happy Birthday with the letter stickers. I used the spare strip of background paper to edge the top and bottom of the front flap of the card and mounted the trimmed image on top.

SAM_1380 (watermarked)

I have to say I was quite pleased with the way the giraffe coloured up. It was a big image to colour and I was worried that the ink might dry out too quickly to get a decent blend. Also it is the first time I have used the Neenah Desert Storm card on a project, I liked the way it toned down the colours and made them more natural looking. (Not sure why the card looks grey on the photo, in reality it is more of a sandy colour.)

Thanks for stopping by. Take care.

Pippa

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges:
Outlawz Challenges Friday Colouring Challenge - Anything goes
Your Scrapbook Place - Anything Goes/Masculine

9 comments:

  1. Definitely the tone of your Neenah affected the final coloring of your cute giraffe. Not a 'white look' at all - about this handsome guy. Would have required a lot of tone down, I expect, had you not thought to use the shade of paper. This is a really fun image, and your coloring is so nice. Like the shadows that you've placed here & there. When I color something like this, I do a 'section or spot', then go back with whatever I'm going to blend in. I don't try to do the whole image at once. (but I bet you know that already!). I also find SN's harder to blend than the copics too. Your coloring is fantastic! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I agree with you about the SN blending being harder than Copics. I have a few copics, mainly skin colours, and find them so much easier. Also the brush tip is much finer for colouring little images. I think I will be investing in more copics as time goes along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant giraffe image and sure to please the recipient. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card and beautiful coloring! Thanks for "sticking your neck out" to add this guy to our challenge at Your Scrapbook Place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kathy, your comment made me smile. I do like the 'punny' side of life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just awesome. I know lots of people who do love giraffes. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Your Scrapbook Place challenge this month! Cheers, Holley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Holley. The smile and the long eyelashes make it so cute looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful birthday card! She'll love it! Thank you for playing with us at Your Scrapbook Place and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete