Thursday 23 August 2018

Horsing Around

I love horses, but not as much as I love penguins but don't tell any passing horses that! When I was young I did not go in for imaginary friends but I did have a stable full of imaginary horses.  I can even remember that my favourite was called Chestnut but I have no idea what the names of the others were. When Ike had this horse image for her Progressive Challenge I had to make it into a chestnut, it seemed only right. I found a great quote to go with it as well.


Materials used:  
brown card
5x7 tri fold card blank
printer paper
X-Press It card
Copic pens:
fur - E50, E31, E33, E35, E39, E59, E49
hat - E97, YR27, E99, E37
        R29, R39, R59, R89
        G02, G05, G07, G29
eye - E13, E15, E37
stable door - B91, B93, B95, B97, B99

I was feeling really brave for this one and had a go at drawing and colouring the stable door. The dark blue blobs are supposed to be knots in the wood.

I have cut the aperture from the front section of the card and behind it, on the middle part, I have mounted a piece of dark brown card that has been scored to look like the wood inside the stable.

I coloured an off cut of X-Press It card to look like a blue stable door, cut it to size and attached it below the aperture.

Having coloured the horse image I fussy cut him and then attached him behind the aperture using foam pads so that he looks as if he is looking out of the door.

I love the quote I found  so rather than hid it away inside the card I decided to put it on the front.

Did you have any imaginary friends or animals when you were young? I wonder if the children of today enjoy as much imaginary play outside of school or if they get their 'entertainment' from electronic devices.  I hope not, while technology can be very useful there is still a need to let the imagination run wild. It makes me smile when I see children making up stories and acting them out in games of 'Let's Pretend'. It's easier to engage with them when they are not glued to a phone or tablet. If ever the power runs out I hope our children still know how to make their own amusement.

Thanks for dropping in. Take care.

Pippa 

Entering the following challenges:
Ike's Art Facebook Progressive Challenge #6 


2 comments:

  1. Great job on coloring this chestnut horse. And I love his sombrero! Good work on your hand drawn door, it really did look like the wooden panels, as did the dark wood. Loved that quote...it's perfect. And No, don't remember having any imaginary friends, but I did lose myself in books as soon as I learned to read. (actually can't remember learning to read, but I come from a big family where everyone liked to read. Guess someone taught me before I started school. In those days, the teachers didn't want the kids to already know how to read, so I had to learn to hide the fact that I could read already and found those Dick & Jane books SO boring!) Happy weekend, hugs & TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I had the same problem with our Janet and John books! Being mostly confined indoors through illness as a child (congenital heart condition) my entertainment was reading and I too learned to read very young. I still love reading and with a newish Kindle have been re-reading a lot of the classics, they are free! I have also discovered a few gems from writers that are just starting out.

      Delete