Thursday 28 June 2018

Playing at being artistic

Ike's World Facebook Progressive challenge has a lovely panda this month. Thanks to the teaching talent of Alyce at Kit and Clowder I was able to colour the image using tips and techniques from her All About Animals class. If you want to improve your colouring skills whether using markers or pencils I would recommend taking a look at Kit and Clowder.  Anyway back to the issue at hand, having coloured my panda I loved it so much that I did not want to make it into a card. So instead I had a rare brainwave and created a double spread in my very seldom used art journal. My aim was to document the process of colouring the image and the inspirations I used. As it is an art journal entry I had a dabble with water colours and pencils as well as the Copic colouring of the main feature.

DSC_0381(watermarked).JPG

DSC_0382(watermarked)

DSC_0384(watermarked).JPG

Materials used:Ike's Art - Panda (free from Facebook Page)
X-Press It card
black card
printer paper
That Special Touch Mica Mask - Leafy 6x6
Distress ink pads - shabby shutters, mowed lawn
Copic pens:
fur - C0, C01, C03, C05, C07, C09
paw pads and claws - W05, W07, W09
bamboo stems - Y26, YR23, YR24, YR27
bamboo leaves - YG21, YG23, G21, G94, G99
grass - G21, G94, G99
sky - B000, B00, B12


Copic pen 0.3mm

Sakura white gelly roll pen

watercolour palette

Polychromo pencils:
bamboo stems - 185, 109, 183, 169
bamboo leaves - 171 +101, 170 + 101, 167, 174
sky - 145 +101, 146 + 101

On the left hand side I painted the bamboo and sky with watercolour paints and then stenciled on the leaves with distress inks. The right hand side is coloured with Polychromos.

On the left side I have put little print outs of the pictures I used from the internet to help with getting the colours and shading for the bamboo and panda along with some colour blend and drawing practices. The right side is just the pencil coloured background and the panda image.

I usually avoid drawing at all costs because I am not very good at it but even I managed a bit of bamboo and some leaves and they don't look too bad, at least not as bad as some of my past drawing attempts!

I know that in the future I shall look at that page and wonder how on earth I managed to do it!

Thank you for dropping in. Take care.

Pippa

Entering the following challenges:
Ike's Art Facebook Progressive #4
Inspiration Destination #153 - Anything Goes
Crafty Creations #369 - Anything Goes
A Snowflakes Promise #52 - Anything Goes
Crafty Sentiments Designs - Anything Goes
Creates and Makes #22 - Anything Goes
Lemon Shortbread #70 - Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door - Anything Goes
Artistic Inspirations #203 - Anything Goes
My Creative Scoop Colour Inspiration Link Up #35
Crafting From The Heart #212 - Anything Goes
PIP Challenge #1825 - Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create #210 - Anything Goes
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #84 - Anything Goes
A Bit More Time To Craft #70 - Anything Goes



11 comments:

  1. Such beautiful coloring and a wonderful design! So happy you joined our challenge this week at PIP Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness - that is just AWESOME. The pages are fabulous. I love the pictures and your painting on the left with your colour chart clip and the way you have coloured my Panda is mind blowing :-)
    Thank you very much for using him and playing along in my Challenge :-D
    Hugz
    IKE xxxx

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog
    FB Fan Page
    Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanne Saunders29 June 2018 at 23:22

    Sweet!!! Thanks so much for participating in our LEMON SHORTBREAD challenge. Hope you participate in our next challenge!! Have a happy crafty day!!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pippa, a fantastic two page spread in your art journal, love how the panda's fur looks. Thank you for joining us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, good luck in the prize draw... Megan DT LPoCF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Pippa! This is an amazing spread in your journal. Your colouring is just fabulous.
    Glad this dropped onto the front porch at 61 Avenue Create.
    Hugs Sheryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations you are one of this week’s Top Rockers at 613 Avenue Create - don’t forget to pick up your badge from the Top Rocker page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely project thanks for sharing with snowflakes promise Rachel DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful make. Love pandas and gorgeous colouring. Thanks for joining us at TTCRD this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your page is so beautiful, I love pandas! Thank you for joining us at Artistic Inspiration challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So adorable!! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Lemon Shortbread Challenge Blog. I hope you can join us again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous panda image used and love your project. Thanks for entering Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, good luck and hope to see you again.
    Denise (Owner of LPOCF)

    ReplyDelete