Sunday 1 October 2017

Nature's Autumn Bounty

It's the first of the month and time for the start of a new challenge at Love to Craft. Come play with us! We are an all-crafts challenge blog and welcome any and all kinds of handmade creations - from cards, tags, ATCs and scrapbook layouts - to 3-D projects, mixed media canvases and altered projects - and even knitting, crocheting, quilting and jewelry-making! Whatever you're working on, we want to see it! Just to prove the point that anything does go I have come up with something very different this time.

I recently saw on the internet a jar full of fairy wings made from coloured sycamore 'keys'. It got me thinking, why stop at wings why not go the whole way. So with Christmas in mind I thought I would experiment and try making an angel ornament from whateve I could find in the nearby wood.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES
Materials used:  

hazelnut in it's skirt
acorn in it's cap
sycamore 'keys'
glue gun
linen thread


A walk in the wood collecting 'bits' is always great fun and good for you too! I managed to find quite a lot of nuts and seeds the trick was how to arrange them to  make an angel. It did take a few trial runs before this combination came about.

I used a hazelnut for the body, I thought that the 'skirt' looked good, and a small acorn still in it's cap for the head. The wings are two sycamore keys, at least I think they are, that were still green. They made a good colour contrast with all the brown.

The little angel is all glued together using a hot glue gun.

If I ever get time I hope to make up a few more and hang them on a tree out in the garden for Christmas.

Maybe my post will inspire you to give it a go or even to come up with your own ideas from nature's free resources. We  would love to see you enter the challenge, you have a month to get those creations in. All the details are on the Love To Craft Challenge Blog.

Thanks for visiting. Take care.

Pippa

1 comment: