Tuesday 21 July 2015

End of the School Year

It's been a long year but we made it! An emotional end this time because after 14 years in Reception I am on the move to work with the older children from September. It's not a choice I would have made for myself but recent health issues have meant it is better for the school if I am in a less active place.

I usually give the children a little gift at the end of the summer term and this year I decided to make a bookmarker each for them all. So I made 14, 7 for the boys and 7 for the girls and put their names on the back.

The Path of Positivity challenge this time around has the theme of 'Sharing'. I have been thinking about what to do for a while, the problem was not lack of ideas but having too many. When I decided to make the bookmarkers I knew that had to be my entry for POP. One of the joys of working in Reception is being able to share a love of books with them. When they first come into school we do not give them a reading book but allow them to choose one from the class to take home and 'share' with mummy or daddy. In fact most of the time we talk about sharing books rather than reading a story.

Because of health problems I had when I was born I spent a lot of time alone and unable to go outside to play so I learned to read very young and have been the stereotypical bookworm ever since. While I was a guide I even ran a library for the village children. I trained as a librarian but life's circumstances took me into working in schools.

So next year will be different with new challenges but I hope there will still be opportunities to share a love of books with the older children along the way.

Materials used: SAM_1788(watermarked)
Deedee's Digis set - Little Readers
Clarity Stamps - Letter Box Kit
Stamping card
Copic pens
Archival Black ink pad


SAM_1789(watermarked)

Method:
I printed out the images and wording using a template on Word so that I could fit two bookmarkers to an A4 sheet of card. I used the Copics to colour the images in then cut them apart and scored the fold line. I then used the letterbox kit to write the children's names on the backof the bookmarkers. Finally I folded them in halves and glued them down.

SAM_1790(watermarked)

It took a while to do the colouring and the stamping but I think it was worth it. I hope the children like them and that they are encouraged to use them in the ongoing discovery of books.

Thanks for sticking it out with my ramblings today. Take care.

Pippa

I would like to enter my card into:
The Path of Positivity Challenge #28 - Sharing
Anything But a Card Challenges No. 49 "Anything Goes"
Ike's World Challenges #42 - Anything but a Square
Through the Craftroom Door - Anything goes
Word Art Wednesday: Challenge #192

12 comments:

  1. Pippa, this is such a thoughtful and particularly appropriate end of school gift for these lucky children. I know they will miss you so much. However, I expect the next level of kids will appreciate your craftiness & care - so plenty more adventures ahead. I love that you were able to incorporate this so cute DeeDee's digi into a wonderful gift remembrance. I truly pray that these issues are improving as time passes on. (RE: your comment on the EP. The Queens Gold that I like so much is NOT fine detail. I only have clear, black - and I think perhaps some silver. Now I'm having difficulty finding even those, so don't know if Ranger has discontinued the product. I've tried the WOW gold but I don't like the 'gold' look of it as much as the Queens Gold...which to my eye is a very bright & rich gleaming gold. None of the other golds I've tried come up to that look. I plan to try black next, and will try to remember your excellent suggestion to use fine detail. It's one I had not thought of. Thanks). Hugs & TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work love the images .Thank you for joining us at Ike's World Challenges good luck Ginny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught kindergarten for years and know how special it is to share a love of books with children! This is such a special gift for the children! Thanks for sharing with us at Ike's World Challenge! ~Nanette, DT~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what cute little characters they are on there and fabulous colouring. A lovely idea to make those for your kiddoes :-) I wish you all the very best for your new position when you return in September :-D
    Thank you for coming over to play at IKEsWORLD CHALLENGES :-)

    IKE x

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog
    FB Fan Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, bookmarks, oh one of my ultimate favourite things, apart from books that is! gorgeous bookmarks fabulous idea too. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your creativity with us Love 'n' hugs Sall IkesWorld Challenges DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story and the book marks are wonderful! Your use of Copics is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book markers are beautiful and I am sure the boys and girls will love them There must be a unseen reason you are to change to a new place I am sure you will be loved there also. Thank you for sharing with us at Ike's World Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What super bookmarks! I am sure the children will love them! Best of luck with the older ones next term!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and...thanks for sharing with Ike's World Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely bookmarks lovely colouring
    thanks for joining ikes art
    Lynne DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such adorable bookmarks. I love the personalization. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the next challenge.
    Sara
    TTCRD DT
    FP3 {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so perfect for our SHARING theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Path of Positivity DT Member}
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete